Friday 28 September 2012

Mark Romanek

As well as looking closer to my given genre, I decided to look at the works of some famous music video directors though the songs perhaps steer a little bit away from the kind of music I'm looking at however. I decided to focus on Mark Romanek, though I also looked at works by the likes of Chris Cunningham, Michel Gondry, Anton Corbijn and Jonathan Glazer. 

Mark Romenek
Mark Romenek is an American filmmaker whose directing work includes music videos, feature films and commercials. Some of his most notable music videos include "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails, "Jump They Say" by David Bowie and "99 Problems" by Jay-Z. These videos have received numerous awards, including over 20 MTV VMAs, three Grammys, a Country Music Association award, and three Billboard Music Awards.



A compilation of Mark Romanek’s work, edited by Nino Del Padre – which I found on YouTube.

After watching lots of his music videos, and a few documentaries about the way he works I'm getting pretty excited, actually, to make my own video (though I know obviously I won't have the budget or skills he does) whether I liked the artist/song or not I could tell he completely creates a distinct image of the musician and creates a complete moment within the video; I really like him. :)

Also, in a documentary about him, he says he doesn't always know exactly how the video will be, or what order he'll edit things into, just to film a lot, and see how it fits when editing. Which is a little relieving to hear.

I made a small presentation on Prezi to look briefly at some of his work:


1 comment:

  1. Good work Ashleigh, hope that some of Romanek's work inspires your music video

    ReplyDelete